NANPA HEALTH TIPS OF THE DAY
JUTE LEAF (EWEDU)
Ewedu leaf as the Yoruba’s call it, Achingbara in Igbo, Rama in Hausa or Jute leaves as in English Language all point to the same leaf botanically known as Corchorus Olitorius.
Jute is rich in minerals, vitamins and antioxidants. It also contains iron, calcium, sodium, phosphorus, potassium, proteins, fibers, Vitamins A, C and E, riboflavin, niacin and folate. These are nutrients that help the body to fight diseases and maintain good health.
Apart from their slightly bitter taste jute leaves is a good source of nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Consuming 87 gram of jute potherb, cooked without salt offers 94 µg of Vitamin K, 0.496 mg of Vitamin B6, 2.73 mg of Iron,225 µg of Vitamin A,28.7 mg of Vitamin C and 0.222 mg of Copper. Moreover many Amino acids like 0.021 g of Tryptophan, 0.113 g of Threonine, 0.152 g of Isoleucine, 0.266 g of Leucine, 0.151 g of Lysine and 0.044 g of Methionine are also found in 87 gram of cooked jute.
Health Benefits of Ewedu Leaf
* It contains vitamin A, C and E, and these vitamins are key in the protection of the body from diseases.
* It is known to have skin beautifying agents as they tend to increase the production of collagen, thus keeping the skin firm and beautiful.
* It it a good source of fibre, which makes it helpful in dealing with weight management and may also promote intestinal health by helping with bowel movement.
* Ewedu leafs are also known to help boost immunity and nourish the body system.
* They are often used as a remedy for stomach related conditions such as dysentery and constipation.
* They increase the production of collagen in order to keep the skin firm and smooth.
* It is rich in beta-carotene for good sight.
* It has high calcium content for healthy bones and teeth.
* It boosts the immune system and nourishes the body.
* It has anti-aging properties that keeps ths skin looking smoothe and radiant.
* It lowers blood pressure, cholesterol and is good for heart health and diabetes.
* It can increase sexual Libido and aid fertility.
* It is a blood purifier and laxative.
* It improves eyesight.
* It aids and aids easy delivery in pregnant women.
* It controls infections like gonorrhea